Saturday, March 9, 2013

Pyrate Marshall Kändiß Wins 1st Place Drink n Draw Contest at Philly Comic Con 2012 BUT NEVER GETS A PRIZE

Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con held a contest called "Drink n' Draw" (hosted by Tommy Castillo) at night, which was 21 & older crowd.

I attended with Pirate Pebbs.  It was her idea, and she was VERY MUCH looking forward to that event!






The point of the contest, was to...
um... well, not sure... you get really drunk, supposedly... but, it's not necessarily free, unless you want beer, u can get a voucher....

(*not a beer drinker*)


-before the contest takes place, there was a very long winded lecture, which started out sounding good... but, then became more opinion based. -and, then, drinking became encouraged... after which, I recall not so clearly...

I wasn't all that drunk,  I think I had 2-3 drinks, which were mostly ice, and it was SOOOO HOT in there, that I kept sweating profusely...


I entered into the armature  category, because I'm not technically a pro-penciler... but I DID work at TOP COW (Image Comics) on Witchblade (and other books) for Digital Colorist Assistant in 2005 for almost 3 months, as an unpaid intern.(Not the same thing... since I STINK at arcetecture, and 3 point perspective, and I cannot draw machines, like cars, motorcycles, or ships.)

 There were several rules, which were weird, and I recall doing my sketch. Since I was rather out of practice for sketching, I was thinking:

OMG! I'm so glad I'm NOT going to win, because I NEVER want anyone to see how HORRIBLE this sketch is!

Then, next thing I knew, I WON (First Place), and I was like: OOOOOOH NOOOOOO!!!!! 

Because that means EVERYONE had to look at it!
Not only that, but I had to stand up IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE ROOM AND SHOW IT!
AND have my photo taken!

AHHHHHHH!!!!!! 


 I had to wait until the end of the event to find out just what my prize was, with the other winners.

Finally, the event ended, everyone left, and he leans over us, dripping sweat onto me (physically literally), and he tells us that our prize is a free customized piece of art from him, and he sounds very very excited about it.

But, I had to wait until Sunday...

Sunday comes, I go over to his dealer area, and wait, and wait, and wait... Then, his wife aknowleges me... and I wait, and wait, and wait...
-meanwhile, he shows-up, ignores me, then acts like he notices me, sells more stuff, then finally comes over and talks to me.

He vacillates back and forth between acting very happy about me there, then annoyed that I'm there, and rushes to sell more stuff, or to have his people sell stuff, then goes over to the side to chat with people.

Finally, he wants to have a photo with me, or the sketch, or with his booth, but he keeps getting distracted. Still vacillating from really happy about me, to annoyed about me.



Um... so, you no like me???  ¬_¬

This took FOREVER...
-meanwhile he must've sold hundreds of dollars worth of stuff (I guess he's got a mortgage to pay), and his wife keeps emphasizing that "this was published", "this was also published", "it was published too" to customers... so, I don't know if it's 'cause she's so hot, or because somehow "published" must be some kinda "buzz word" to help impulse buying.

*shrugs*

But, that doesn't work for anyone else I know, and  I've had friends from Top Cow do Comic Conventions in LA, and to my knowledge never said stuff like that. In fact, no one I know ever says that either. I mean, I've been published, my classmates have been published. *shrugs* 
*scratches head* Maybe last century that used to help sell stuff at Cons. 
(Not trying to throw another fellow artist under the bus, but: HUH??)

*shrugs*

Finally, he declares that his wife will get my information, and that he'll contact me by e-mail that month.

She blows me off, ignores me, but smiles at me... sells more stuff... other winners show up... same deal...

*scratches head*

Time passes, and then she tells someone else to take our information...

*Waiting, waiting, waiting*

 What an awkward experience!



To this day I have NEVER received ANY PRIZE AT AL EVER!


*shrugs*

I get the feeling Tommy Castillo doesn't really like me.
¬_¬




Little known fact: Kändiß actually worked at Top Cow (Image Comics) on an unpaid internship in 2005, but for Colorist Assistant working on "Witchblade". But she's not considered a "penciler" nor a pro cartoonist/comic book artist.

Her real name is Kandice Kathleen Zimbleman (Wang) and often publishes under the alias "Black UniGryphon" (BlackUniGryphon).


My creddits in Whitchblade 85 by ~BlackUniGryphon on deviantART

Kandice Also won 2 Medals from NASA First Place In the State of New Jersey for 2 paintings. (The 1st painting is missing.)


My 2 Medals From NASA by ~BlackUniGryphon on deviantART


Jaguar Enigma: NASA Painting by ~BlackUniGryphon on deviantART

Kandice also had her artwork exhibited in Congress as a teenager.


Eyewitness Congressional 1995 by ~BlackUniGryphon on deviantART

Kandice had been published in the 2001 Con Book for AnthroCon, and has been a dealer in 2002, as well as in the Artist Alley. She is mostly known for fantasy & exotic & Orientalism art (Unicorns & Griffins mostly), but is very eclectic. She has also done live portraits in Greater Boston in several malls in pastels & charcoals, and has also worked on animation projects for: NOGGIN, HBO FAMILY, PBS, and Nick Jr.



Soccer Gryphon 3 of 3 PRINT by ~BlackUniGryphon on deviantART


Descending Gryphon COLOR by ~BlackUniGryphon on deviantART


Vexed Black Unicorn by ~BlackUniGryphon on deviantART


Diving Unicorn Color Version by ~BlackUniGryphon on deviantART


Wu Dujiao Qilin Cloud Strider by ~BlackUniGryphon on deviantART


Festival Stage Belly Dancer by ~BlackUniGryphon on deviantART


Dragon Princess Color by ~BlackUniGryphon on deviantART

No comments:

Post a Comment